Monday, May 14, 2012

Fighting Women's Cancer

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend! It was such a fun-filled one for me, but if I'm going to write everything about it, it'll be too long, and I don't want to bore you all. I know my posts have been incredibly long, but bare with me, I'm still trying to get used to this. So let's start with the Revlon Run/Walk for women's cancer that my friend and I did on Saturday morning. For those who have read my previous post, I signed up for this event with the goal of raising $250 that I reached within a day, because I have such great family and friends!!! But I wanted to see if I could do better and raised my goal to $500. By the day of, I reached $525. My faith in humanity has been restored once again lol. So I'd like to thank everyone that donated on my behalf, I am truly blessed to have you all in my life. I did this for my aunt that we lost to breast cancer 11 years ago, and for all the women out there.


This was my third 5k run and the biggest one! It was even bigger than the Disney run, hahaha. The morning started with a health expo, t-shirt & goodie bag pick up, and interviews. When it was almost time to run, my friend and I hustled over to the start line, or at least almost close to it.

In front of the Jack & Jill Statue

At the LA Memorial Coliseum, where the 1984 Summer Olympic was held

Trying to weasel our way to the front... FAIL

Goofin' around with some mustaches we got from the health expo

Nothing says "GO!!!" like a bunch of confetti being blown up

There were celebrities such as Matthew Morrison, Mario Lopez, Matt Bomer, Stacy Keibler, and Halle Berry at the opening ceremony and they each gave a speech about what the cause meant for them. It was really touching and encouraging, a great way to start the run.

OMG I was so close to them! lol


And we're off! I started the clock the clock at 9 AM exactly after passing this bridge, because from where we were standing, there was a 6 -7 min delay to get there. It was seriously packed!

Hayyyyy!



Remember to subtract 6-7 minutes from these, lol


After 2 1/2 miles, we made a turn that faced the walkers that had just started

Almost done!!!

Entering the Coliseum

The finish line!

WOO HOO!!!

WE DID IT!!! xD



I wanted to take those home, lol



In front of the survivor tent


My mustache stayed!



Roses for the cancer survivors



When I said packed, I meant super packed!!! and there were still walkers out there




Afterwards, my friend and I headed over to OC. I had to get my mom's Mother's Day gift (I know... so last minute...) and I thought we should have our celebratory lunch at the Kickin' Crab! She never had it before and we were in the area anyway... It's so much better than the Boiling Crab! Much tastier and less oil.

Sorry if it looks gross... my friend said it looked like a fetus ><


Haha, my Never Land plastic medal and my Revlon medal

Running a 5k isn't as bad as most people would think. At least it's not a marathon! It's only 3.1 miles and the Rosebowl loop is exactly that, so it was a great place to train. These runs are often for a great cause, so everyone should definitely participate if they're interested, and its a great way to stay healthy. I am definitely going to participate in more runs, and perhaps a half marathon or a triathlon in the future. And especially more Disney runs!!! It's not everyday you get cheered on my Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, Pluto, and the rest of the gang. The one I'd really like to participate in is the Princess Run that's held at Disneyworld, Orlando, Florida. A lot of people dresses up for these runs, wearing tutus, wings, and crowns with their running clothes, and some even wore straight up costumes! Another one I'd really like to try is the Coast-to-Coast Challenge. It is when you run a half marathon at either Disneyland or Disneyworld, then the next week you run another half marathon at the other location, which adds to a marathon! You can look up Disney's running events at RunDisney.

The Disney couples, lol

What sorts of running events have you guys been on? Have a great rest of the day! =D

Until my next post! =]

Follow me on Bloglovin' here, and my Instagram (55byjess)

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Jess!! I need to be more motivated like you! :) So proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! it was a good run for a good cause. =]

      Delete